Thursday 17 September 2009

Clearing Clutter

I don't know what it is about coming home after a long vacation, but I always feel so unsettled. I look at everything around me critically and things are crystal clear to me. The first aspect which is glaringly obvious is my physical space, my home. I always feel like it is lacking in something as if I am seeking more. This time when I came back it was the same. Everything looked so much of a mess, so untidy, so many things accumulated. The biggest were all those mounds of newspapers. I could feel this itch very strong wanting to throw all those newspapers out. It didn't matter that I had been up the whole night before in transit, or that I had a long two hour drive from Sharjah to Abu Dhabi or that I was still recovering from a particularly virulent bout of Sinusitis. All that I wanted to do was to start cleaning up the house, throw all the clutter out and bring order into things. Well I thought to myself now is a good time to start CLEANING. But hold on, this is not the physical cleaning I am talking about but a Mental CLEANING from Ho'oponopono, a class I had taken in June just before I went for my vacation. The basic premise here is that life is happening to us due to memories replaying themselves in our Subconscious mind. So if we start CLEANING on these memories and erase them, we go to a state of ZERO, and Divinity manifests itself in this state and Healing occurs. So I started CLEANING using some of the tools and I programmed my subconscious mind to keep cleaning every moment and went off to nap to recover from my fatigue. When I woke up in the evening, I felt refreshed and energised and just got on with my task of unpacking my four suitcases. Within the hour I had them unpacked, all the contents stored away in their proper places and the suitcases stowed away in their original places. I was amazed. Normally it would have taken me a week and lots of stress before I would have been able to do this. But hey, who wants to look a gift horse in the mouth. Since then I have been CLEANING on the clutter in the house. And this goes hand in hand with the physical cleaning as well. I have been looking at every cupboard, every shelf, every drawer in the house. I have been disposing off stuff which I haven't used in a long time. What is amazing is that I have been able to let go of stuff which has been sitting around for a long time and has escaped the attention of my previous Spring Cleaning Sprees. Its like things are so clear in my mind, that this just has to go and out it goes. Now the challenge here is that all the stuff is not just mine, a lot of it belongs to others. In the past I would have been very upset and full of blame and self righteous about it, now all that I do is CLEAN mentally on it. And I am sure that this will go also. And even if it doesn't, what I have succeeded in cleaning are my thoughts and feelings and emotions about the clutter belonging to others. And I can be quite neutral about it now, instead of full of blame and resentment. An interesting side effect of cleaning all this clutter has been a sense of lightness, as if I have released so much stuff from my mind. I feel more energetic and light on my feet. Yesterday my son also commented that I lost weight. YOOO HOOO. I love this method of weight loss.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to the phenomenon of coming back from vacation and craving an uncluttered, orderly environment. I now clean my house to perfection BEFORE we leave so that when we come home it is actually nicer to be in than what we normally experience. I can then focus easily on what objects are superfluous (thanks to that awareness of clutter we seem to get when on vacation!) and get rid of them without having to clean first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome way to do things. I am going to follow this practise when I next go on my vacation. Thank you Melanie

    ReplyDelete